Job Title: Extrusion Engineer
Reporting to: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
The successful candidate will be responsible for setting up a new extrusion line and ancillary equipment within a designated manufacturing area, completing its installation and operational qualification with support from engineering. They will liaise on a regular basis with partners in prototyping and design to ensure the requirements of all projects are understood and satisfied by maintaining a supply of the extruded components to predefined specifications. They will have overall responsibility for the extrusion line ensuring it is running to the highest standards. They will also look after all tooling and material management to support the efficient running of the line to support the Business.
- Factory acceptance testing of new equipment (when required) at supplier site prior to shipment to ICS Medical.
- Installation and qualification of Equipment prior to use in manufacturing environment
- Monitor and operate extrusion line and other production equipment as per relevant SOP’s to produce products which meet the requirements of end users, customers, regulatory authorities and the company.
- Inspect products and check statistical process control (SPC) outputs to ensure products are manufactured in conformance with the customer’s requirements and ICS Medical quality systems.
- Perform functional testing on product where specified in procedures.
- Work with supply chain to ensure all required resins and other materials are procured and received on time to meet project needs.
- Manage inventory of raw material between storge and usage on the extrusion line.
- Setup tool room to enable adequate management and cleaning of all tooling between production runs.
- Complete all appropriate documentation per production run in accordance with ICS SOP’s
- Adhere to safety requirements as per ICS Medical safety procedures.
- Strong technical aptitude to understand plastics processing and the overall operating principles of an extruder.
- HETAC Level 6 Qualification in a relevant discipline. Polymer/Materials Engineering disciplines are a distinct advantage.
- General manufacturing processing knowledge with at least 2 years previous experience in a manufacturing environment is an advantage.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing and 5S.
- Understanding of production costs to include waste, downtime, scrap and rework.
- Experience of working to tight production targets.
- Excellent track record in troubleshooting.
- Polymer processing experience desirable.
- Tooling assembling/disassemble is a distinct advantage.
- Ability to recognise areas of opportunity for improvement within existing processes in Extrusion.